Monday, March 18, 2013

Reading for pleasure, to learn, to improve one's craft

Reading... goes with writing.  

I really like reading, and wish I did more of it.  It seems to come down to the number of available hours in a day.  Sadly, my reading often gets pushed out of the way by other things.  

(I like this recent photo I found... it communicates the theme of loving the written word, the power of words, the experience of reading.)

Over the past couple years I've been reading through three different books on writing.  These authors have become my writing instructors.  Stephen King, Larry Beinhart, and the pair, Irwin & Eyerly.

The books include: Stephen King's On Writing (2010), Larry Beinhart's How to Write a Mystery (1996), and Hadley Irwin & Jeanette Eyerly's 25-year-old Writing Young Adult Novels (1988).  Each of them recommend lots of reading.  Clive Cussler is another whom I pay attention to whenever I hear snippets of his method; he reads quite a bit as well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment