Thursday, April 16, 2015

This is an interesting notion (a meme I found among writing posts somewhere). 

I can certainly relate to that idea... in my childhood there were plenty of hours... on days when I was left alone by a single mother... when I simply went to work creating something, usually sculpting from whatever objects were around me. 

I didn't discover the magic of words and sculpting stories until much later.  Stories came first.  Primarily through the reading of Bible stories by my father when I visited him (a rare event).  Then I began reading on my own... Danny Orlis (by Bernard Palmer), and Ken Platt's The Boy Who Could Make Himself Disappear, and then Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan and John Carter of Mars series.  Through high school and college I discovered creative writing, taking a course here and there.  And all the while journaling, constantly journaling, which I discovered later, is a writing style all by itself.  The first person narrative.  Classics like Dracula were written that way.  Finally, I launched into the unknown.... sculpting of stories for their own sake.  Trident's Flame was my first.  Sanctum Threat my second.

There is something about surviving one's childhood through the use of creativity that lends itself to better coping skills in adulthood.       

No comments:

Post a Comment