Friday, January 17, 2014

A Visit to Mark Coker's Smashwords Blog



Just visited Mark Coker's Smashwords blog (http://blog.smashwords.com/).  Looked at one article in particular, 2014 Book Publishing Industry Predictions - Price Drops to Impact Competitive Dynamics, his predictions for this year. 

This statement caught my attention:

"Once a writer - any writer - comes to the realization that the power in the publishing industry has transferred from publishers to writers, it opens up a new world of possibilities."

What a hopeful frame for writers and the prospects of publishing.  I can't help but think of all the good writing that is going unseen, unread, unappreciated because of the strangle-hold of the modern market.  It's a shame the way publishers have behaved over the last decade or more. 

The Christian market has followed suit, sorry to say.  I recall my first contract offer for Trident's Flame -- I was shocked by the self-protective, profiteering language in it.  They wanted rights to things having nothing to do with them or their current capabilities as a publisher.  I was amazed.  It took me a couple days to recover from that reading. 

I was shocked a second time by the abrupt and dismissive reaction by the "Christian" publisher.  Afterward I found myself thankful I did not sign up with them.  They were a train-wreck about to happen, and I managed to avoid it.

Thankfully NavPress responded, and within months of the first offer.

I tend to believe Coker's statement.  The publishing industry is being redefined.  Right now.  It's an exciting thought.  And when you consider where it may take the reading and writing world... well... wow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment